Research contractors before you hire
Finding and hiring a reliable contractor for any home renovation project can feel overwhelming. In fact, according to a recent survey, 46% of homeowners have postponed a home renovation project because they didn’t want to deal with the hassle of finding and hiring a contractor.
Putting off a kitchen remodel is one thing, but if you need work done on something more critical to the protection of your home, such as a new roof, then you likely cannot – and should not – postpone the project. Don’t let the task of finding the right contractor delay your project. Postponing roof repairs or a new roof could make things worse and cost you more money in the long run.
No matter if your home renovation projects are interior, exterior, or both, here are a few tips to help you streamline the process of finding and hiring a trusted contractor for the job.
- Ask for recommendations from friends, family, or neighbors – and then research those contractors! Hiring a trusted, licensed contractor is key to your project’s success and could help prevent you from dealing with some of the most common home renovation issues.
- Read online reviews. Check a contractor’s reviews on Google, Facebook, Angie’s List, HomeAdvisor, or in the case of an Owens Corning Roofing Contractor Network (OCCN) member, you can read their reviews on our site, as well.
- Take time to conduct interviews. You can interview contractors over the phone, via chat, email, or in-person. Not sure what to ask? Here are 13 questions you’ll want the answers to before making your final decision on who to hire.
- Check licensing. Make sure any contractor is fully insured and carries the right state and local licenses. Hiring an unlicensed contractor for any home renovation project is risky and not recommended.
- Verify Better Business Bureau status. A clean profile with the Better Business Bureau is an indication of reputable business practices to help you avoid unexpected issues or potential scams.
- Check if the contractor participates in national manufacturer contractor programs or networks. Contractors that participate in these programs typically means that they have been pre-screened for specific requirements. Ask if members are also authorized to offer extended warranty coverage that can provide longer protection than standard warranties.
Our Owens Corning Roofing Contractor Network (OCCN) is a great example of a one-stop shop approach to finding trusted roofing contractors in your area. To reach the Owens Corning Roofing Platinum and Preferred member status within the network, contractors are vetted for exceptional professionalism, financial stability and customer service. To remain at this premier level within our OCCN, both Owens Corning Roofing Platinum and Preferred Contractors are continuously evaluated on their business practices.
You can find Owens Corning Roofing Platinum and Preferred Contractors in your area by searching from our Find a Contractor page. This page allows you to search by zip code, identify Owens Corning Roofing Platinum or Preferred Contractors, read reviews, and request multiple estimates in a single form.
Working with a highly recommended contractor who meets these basic requirements can help you avoid some of the most common home renovation project issues, like the work taking longer than expected, having the project unexpectedly go over budget, and receiving work below the quality expected. Empower yourself with information to help remove any guesswork from the equation so you can focus on what matters – helping to protect your home.
Good luck with your project!
 Survey conducted by OnePoll, on behalf of Owens Corning Roofing
Roofing and Asphalt, LLC, of 2,000 homeowners about common home renovation scams and Americans’ thoughts on contractors.
 See actual warranty for complete details, limitations and requirements.
 Survey conducted by OnePoll, on behalf of Owens Corning Roofing and Asphalt, LLC, of 2,000 homeowners about common home renovation scams and Americans’ thoughts on contractors.
THE PINK PANTHER™ & ® 1964-2019 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved. The color PINK is a registered trademark of Owens Corning. ® 2019 Owens Corning. All Rights Reserved.Back to home