Re-Roof 101: What to Expect
What to Expect During a New Roof Installation
Getting a new roof installed on your house is a great way to update your home and potentially improve curb appeal. Owens Corning Roofing has put together a simple outline of what you can expect in the days leading up to, during and after your new roof installation.
A few days or a week leading up to installation day.
- A dumpster might be delivered to your home one to two days before the new roof installation starts.
- A secondary dumpster might be delivered if your roofing contractor is recycling your old asphalt shingles.
- TIP: The Owens Corning Roofing and Asphalt Shingle Recycling Program helps to turn old asphalt shingles into new roads. Be sure to ask your roofing contractor if they participate. Learn more about Asphalt Shingle Recycling.
- The delivery of the new asphalt shingles will arrive a few days before the start of the roofing project (these could be placed on your roof or in your driveway).
- TIP: Ask your roofing contractor when this will occur so you can be prepared by moving cars or making sure someone is home, etc.
General – Roof Installation
- If you have any pets, you might want to work with your roofing contractor to see if they need to be locked up for the roof installation.
- Take appropriate measures to protect any valuable items in your garden, i.e. statues, planters, etc.
- TIP: Work with your roofing contractor to understand if they are covering your flowers or shrubbery. If not, we recommend doing it yourself.
- Make sure gates are either left open for the roofing contractors or ask that they close the gates behind them at all times.
- If there are special requests (such as asking them not to use your bathroom) make sure you let the person in charge know about those in advance.
Final day/finishing up on the job.
- The roofing contractor will most likely do a final walk-through with you; this is where you make sure they have done everything they said they would do.
- Typically the roofing contractor will do a sweep of your yard for loose nails and other debris.
- TIP: Be sure you have talked about the cleanup process prior to the start of your job and if you are unhappy, ask the roofing contractor to do a secondary sweep for nails.
After your new roof has been put on (1-3 days later).
- The dumpster will be picked up.
- A representative from the roofing contractor might set up time to come to your house to do a general review and collect a final payment.
- If you purchased a roofing system warranty through an Owens Corning® Roofing Preferred or Platinum Preferred Contractor, they will register your warranty directly with Owens Corning Roofing. If not, you can go to the warranty page to register your standard warranty.
- TIP: Prior to signing the contract you should understand the warranty you will be getting and whether the contractor or you will be responsible for registering the warranty.